From the first page, “Gudrid’s ancestry” the literary style of the saga is much like a Greek myth. Especially in the footnotes where five notes are given to explain the genealogy that is stowed in five paragraphs. Although I usually love to get the back story and find that it enriches my understanding of a literary work, in this case, the likeness to Greek mythology discredited the story as a historical piece. Myth or History? As I continued reading, my mind was stuck in limbo between the two.
Unlike Greek mythology, the hierarchy was not exactly obvious. There were free born men, and slaves, which created two distinct classes. But a slave could rise to become powerful and wealthy like Einar (79). The social hierarchy expands for the reader on page 80, Thorbjorn would not have his daughter marry even the son of a slave, no matter how successful. So still there is no King, besides far away in
I found an interesting cultural insight when Thorbjorn moves to
2 comments:
I really liked your view on this story. I was so focused on the writing style, that I think I missed some of these types of cultural differences. It is somewhat "contingent" between our cultures and theirs how the people live and also how they write about it.
I liked your first paragraph, where you were explaining how it was hard for you to judge myth or fact. I found myself thinking almost the same thing until I came across the footnotes that detailed the archeological finds (such as the church at Eirik's home). This evidence, which backed up the story and was able to be studied a thousand years later facinated me and made the story that much better.
Post a Comment